1. And Moses spake unto the heads of the tribes concerning the children of Israel, saying, This is the thing which the Lord hath commanded.
1. Et loquutus est Moses ad capita tribuum in Israel, dicendo: Hic est sermo quem praecepit Jehova.
2. If a man vow a vow unto the Lord, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth.
2. Vir qui voverit votum Jehovae, aut juravefit jusjurandum, quo constringendo constrinxerit animam suam, ne violet verbum suum: sed secundum omne quod egressum fuerit ex ore ejus, faciat.
3. If a woman also vow a vow unto the Lord, and bind herself by a bond, being in her father's house in her youth;
3. Mulier autem si vovetit votum Jehovae, et constringendo constrinxerit in domo patris sui in pueritia sua:
4. And her father hear her vow, and her bond wherewith she hath bound her soul, and her father shall hold his peace at her; then all her vows shall stand, and every bond wherewith she hath bound her soul shall stand.
4. Et audierit pater ejus votum ipsius, et oblationem qua adstrinxit animam suam, et tacuerit ei (vel ad eam) pater ejus, stabilia erunt omnia vota ejus, omnisque obligatio qua constrinxit animam suam stabilietur.
5. But if her father disallow her in the day that he heareth; not any of her vows, or of her bonds wherewith she hath bound her soul, shall stand; and the Lord shall forgive her, because her father disallowed her.
5. Si autem irritum fetetit pater ejus illo die quo audierit omne votum ab ea factum, et obligationem ejus quibus constrinxerit animam suam, non stabilietur: et Jehova parcet el, quia pater ejus irritum fecerit.
6. And if she had at all an husband when she vowed, or uttered ought out of her lips, wherewith she bound her soul;
6. Quod si fuerit sub viro, et fuerint vota ejus super eam, aut prolatio labiorum qua constrinxerit animam suam:
7. And her husband heard it, and held his peace at her in the day that he heard it; then her vows shall stand, and her bonds wherewith she bound her soul shall stand.
7. Et audierit maritus eius, et die quo audivit tacuerit el: tunc stabilietur vota ejus, et obligationes quibus constrinxerit animam suam stabilientur.
8. But if her husband disallowed her on the day that he heard it; then he shall make her vow which she vowed, and that which she uttered with her lips, wherewith she bound her soul, of none effect; and the Lord shall forgive her.
8. Quod si quo die audivit marl tus ejus irritum id fecerit, et dissolverit vota ejus quae erant super eam, et prolationem labiorum ejus relaxaverit, qua constrinxerat animam suam, tunc Jehova propitius illi erit.
9. But every vow of a widow, and of her that is divorced, wherewith they have bound their souls, shall stand against her.
9. Votum autem omne viduae et repudiatae quo constrinxerit animam suam, stabilietur super eam.
10. And if she vowed in her husband's house, or bound her soul by a bond with an oath;
10. Porro si in domo mariti sui votum fecerit, aut constringendo constrinxerit animam per jusjurandum:
11 And her husband heard it, and held his peace at her, and disallowed her not: then all her vows shall stand, and every bond wherewith she bound her soul shall stand.
11. Et maritus ejus audierit et tacuerit ei, nec irritum fecerit illud: tune stabilientur omnia ejus vota, et omnis obligatio qua eonstrinxerit animam suam stabilietur.
12. But if her husband hath utterly made them void on the day he heard them; then whatsoever proceeded out of her lips concerning her vows, or concerning the bond of her soul, shall not stand: her husband hath made them void: and the Lord shall forgive her.
12. Quod si dissolvendo dissolverit illa maritus ejus, quo die audivit omnem prolationem labiorum ejus, ad vota ejus, et obligationem animae ejus, non stabilietur; maritus ejus dissolvit ea, et Jehova propitius erit el.
13. Every vow, and every binding oath to afflict the soul, her husband may establish it, or her husband may make it void.
13. Omne votum, et omnejusjurandum obligationis ad affligendam animam maritus ejus stabiliet, et maritus ejus dissolvet.
14. But if her husband altogether hold his peace at her from day to day; then he establisheth all her vows, or all her bonds, which are upon her: he confirmeth them, because he held his peace at her in the day that he heard them.
14. Sin tacendo tacuerit maritus ejus a die in diem, tune stabiliet omnia vota ejus, et omnes obligationes ejus: quae sunt super eam, stabiliet, quia tacuit ei quo die audivit.
15. But if he shall anywise make them void after that he hath heard them; then he shall bear her iniquity.
15. Quod si dissolvendo dissolverit, ea postquam audierit, portabit iniquitatem illius.
16. These are the statutes which the Lord commanded Moses, between a man and his wife, between the father and his daughter, being yet in her youth in her father's house.
16. Haec sunt statuta quae praecepit Jehova Most inter virum et uxorem ejus, inter patrem et filiam ejus quae est in pueritia in domo patris sui.
1 The Lat. is, "Accidet ut mulier in vidaitate viro non subjecta, praecipiti zeli fervore voveat, eo mortuo retractet specioso praetextu, quia tunc libera non erat, nec sui juris." The Fr., "Il adviendra qu'une femme estante en sujection de mari, vouera par une ardeur hastive de zele, le marl trespasse, elle prendra honneste couverture de se retracter, d'autant qu'elle n'estoit pas libre pour lors." I have translated the latter, not being able to understand the original, nor to reconcile them.
2 Ver. 10,
Back to BibleStudyGuide.org.
These files are public domain. This electronic edition was downloaded from the Christian Classics Ethereal Library.