1. And it came to pass after the plague, that the Lord spake unto Moses, and unto Eleazar the son of Aaron the priest, saying,
1. Et fuit, post plagam loquutus est Jehova ad Mosen et Eleazar filium Aharon sacerdotis, dicendo:
2. Take the sum of all the congregation of the children of Israel, from twenty years old and upward, throughout their fathers' house, all that are able to go to war in Israel.
2. Tollite summam universae congregationis filiorum Israel, a filio viginti annorum et supra, per domum patrum suorum, omnium egredientium ad bellum in Israele.
3. And Moses and Eleazar the priest spake with them in the plains of Moab, by Jordan, near Jericho, saying,
3. Itaque loquutus est Moses et Eleazar sacerdos cum illis in campestribus Moab, juxta Jordanem Jericho, dicendo:
4. Take the sum of the people, from twenty years old and upward; as the Lord commanded Moses and the children of Israel, which went forth out of the land of Egypt.
4. Numerate universam congregationem filiorum Israel, it filio viginti annorum et supra: quemadmodum praeceperat Jehova Mosi et filiis Israel qui egressi erant e terra AEgypti.
5. Reuben, the eldest son of Israel: the children of Reuben; Hanoch, ofwhom come the the family of the Hanochites: of Pallu, the family of the Palluites:
5. Ruben fuit primogenitus Israelis, filii Ruben fuerunt aliquot: de Henoc fuit familia Henochitarum: de Phallu, familia Phalluitarum:
6. Of Hezron, the family of the Hezronites: of Carmi, the family of the Carmites.
6. De Hesron, familia Hesronitarum: de Charmi, familia Charmitarum.
7. These are the families of the Reubenites, and they that were numbered of them were forty and three thousand and seven hundred and thirty.
7. Istae sunt familiae Rubenitarum: et fuerunt numerati eorum tria et quadraginta millia septingenti et triginta.
8. And the sons of Pallu; Eliab.
8. Et ex filiis Phallu, Eliab.
9. And the sons of Eliab; Nemuel, and Dathan, and Abiram. This is that Dathan and Abiram which were famous in the congregation, who strove against Moses and against Aaron in the company of Korah, when they strove against the Lord:
9. Filii autem Eliab, Nebuel, Dathan et Abiron: isti sunt Dathan et Abiron majores synagogae qui rixati sunt contra Mosen et Aharon in congregatione Core, quum rixarentur ipsi contra Jehovam.
10. And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up together with Korah, when that company died, what time the fire devoured two hundred and fifty men: and they became a sign.
10. Et aperuit terra os suum, et deglutivit eos et Core, quando mortua est congregatio, dum consumpsit ignis ducentos quinquaginta viros: qui fuerunt in signum.
11. Notwithstanding the children of Korah died not.
11. Filii vero Core non sunt mortui.
12. The sons of Simeon, after their families: of Nemuel, the family of the Nemuelites; of Jamin, the family of the Jaminites: of Jachin, the family of the Jachinites:
12. Filii Simeon per familias suas: de Nemuel, familia Nemuelitarum: de Jamin, familia Jaminitarum: de Jachin, familia Jachinitarum:
13. Of Zerah, the family of the Zarhites: of Shaul, the family of the Shaulites.
13. De Zare, familia Zareitarum: de Saul, familia Saulitarum.
14. These are the families of the Simeonties, twenty and two thousand and two hundred.
14. Istae sunt familia Simeonitarum: duo et viginti millia et ducenti.
15. The children of Gad, after their families: of Zephon, the family of the Zephonites: of Haggi, the family of the Haggites: of Shuni, the family of the Shunites:
15. Filii Gad per familias suas: de Sephon, familia Sephonitarum: de Haggi, familia Haggitarum: de Suni, familia Sunitarum:
16. Of Ozni, the family of the Oznites: of Eri, the family of the Erites:
16. De Ozni, familia Oznitarum: de Eri, familia Eritarum:
17. Of Arod, the family of the Arodites: of Areli, the family of the Arelites.
17. De Arod, familia Aroditarum: de Areli, familia Arelitarum.
18. These are the families of the children of Gad, according to those that were numbered of them, forty thousand and five hundred.
18. Istae sunt familiae filiorum Gad juxta numeratos suos quadraginta millia et quingenti.
19. The sons of Judah were Er and Onan: and Er and Onan died in the land of Canaan.
19. Filii Jehudah, Er et Onam: et mortuus est Er et Onam in terra Chanaan.
20. And the sons of Judah, after their families, were: of Shelah, the family of the Shelanites: of Pharez, the family of the Pharzites: of Zerah, the family of the Zarhites:
20. Fuerunt inquam filii Jehudah per familias suas: de Selah, familia Selanitarum: de Phares, familia Pharesitarum: de Zare, familia Zareitarum:
21. And the sons of Pharez were: of Hezron, the family of the Hezronites: of Hamul, the family of the Hamulites.
21. Fuerunt autem filii Phares, de Hesron, familia Hesronitarum: de Hamul, familia Hamulitarum.
22. These are the families of Judah, according to those that were numbered of them, threescore and sixteen thousand and five hundred.
22. Istae sunt familiae Jehudah per numeratos suos, sex et septuaginta millia et quingenti.
23. Of the sons of Issachar, after their families: of Tola, the family of the Tolaites: of Pua, the family of the Punites:
23. Filii Issachar per familias suas, de Thola, familia Tholaitarum, de Phua, familia Phuitarum:
24. Of Jashub, the family of the Jashubites: of Shimron, the family of the Shimronites.
24. De Jasub, familia Jasubitarum: de Simron, familia Simronitarum.
25. These are the families of Issachar, according to those that were numbered of them, threescore and four thousand and three hundred.
25. Istae sunt familiae Issachar juxta numeratos suos, quatuor et sexaginta millia ac trecenti.
26. Of the sons of Zebulun, after their families: of Sered, the family of the Sardites: of Elon, the family of the Elonites: of Jahleel, the family of the Jahleelites.
26. Filii Zabulon per familias suas: de Sered, fimfilia Sereditarum: de Elon, familia Elonitarum: de Jahleel, familia Jahleelitarum.
27. These are the families of the Zebulunites, according to those that were numbered of them, threescore thousand and five hundred.
27. Istae sunt familiae Zabulonitarum juxta numeratos suos, sexagint, a millia et quingenti.
28. The sons of Joseph, after their families, were Manasseh and Ephraim.
28. Filii Joseph per familias suas, Manasse et Ephraim.
29. Of the sons of Manasseh: of Machit, the family of the Machirites: and Machir begat Gilead: of Gilead come the family of the Gileadites.
29. Filii Manasse, de Machir, familia Machiritarum: et Machir genuit Galaad: de Galaad, familia Galaaditarum.
30. These are the sons of Gilead: of Jeezer, the family of the Jeezerites: of Helek, the family of the Helekites:
30. Isti sunt filii Galaad: de Jezer, familia Jezeritarum: de Helec, familia Helecitarum:
31. And of Asriel, the family of the Asrielites: and of Shechem, the family of the Shechemites:
31. Et de Asriel, familia Asraelitarum: de Sechem, familia Sechemitarum
32. And of Shemida, the family of the Shemidaites: and of Hepher, the family of the Hepherites.
32. Et de Semida, familia Semidatarum: et de Hepher, familia Hepheritarum:
33. And Zelophehad the son of Hepher had no sons, but daughters: and the names of the daughters of Zelophehad were Mahlah, and Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah.
33. Et Salphaad filio Hepher non fuerunt filii, sed filiae: quarum haec nomina Malhad et Noah, Hoglah et Milchah, et Thirsah.
34. These are the families of Manasseh, and those that were numbered of them, fifty and two thousand and seven hundred.
34. Istae sunt familiae Manasse: numerati autem eorum, duo et quinquaginta millia et septingenti.
35. These are the sons of Ephraim, alter their families: of Shuthelah, the family of the Shuthalhites: of Becher, the family of the Bachrites: of Tahan, the family of the Tahanites.
35. Isti sunt filii Ephraim per familias suas: de Suthelah, familia Suthelitarum: de Becher, familia Bechritarum: de Thaban, familia Thabanitarum.
36. And these are the sons of Shuthelah: of Eran, the family of the Eranites.
36. Et isti sunt filii Suthelah: de Eran, familia Eranitarum.
37. These are the families of the sons of Ephraim, according to those that were numbered of them, thirty and two thousand and five hundred. These are the sons of Joseph, after their families.
37. Istse sunt familiae filiorum Ephraim juxta numeratos suos, triginta duo millia et quingenti: isti sunt filii Joseph per familias suas.
38. The sons of Benjamin after their families: of Bela, the family of the Belaites: of Ashbel, the family of the Ashbelites: of Ahiram, the family of the Ahiramites:
38. Filii Benjamin per familias suas: de Bela, familia Belitarum: de Asbel, familia Asbelitarum: de Ahiram, familia Ahiramitarum.
39. Of Shupham, the family of the Shuphamites: of Hupham, the family of the Huphamites.
39. De Sephupham, familia Suphamitarum: de Hupham, familia Huphamitarum.
40. And the sons of Bela were Ard and Naaman: of Ard, the family of the Ardites: and of Naaman, the family of the Naamites.
40. Fuerunt autem filii Bela, Arde et Nahaman: de Arde, familia Arditarum: de Naaman, familia Naamanitarum.
41. These are the sons of Benjamin, after their families: and they that were numbered of them were forty and five thousand and six hundred.
41. Isti sunt filii Benjamin juxta familias suas, et numeratos suos, quadraginta quinque millia et sexcenti.
42. These are the sons of Dan, after their families: of Shuham, the families of the Shuhamites. These are the families of Dan, after their families.
42. Isti sunt filii Dan per familias suas: de Suham, familia Suhamitarum: istae sunt familiae Dan per familias suas.
43. All the families of the Shuhamites, according to those that were numbered of them, were threescore and four thousand and four hundred.
43. Omnes familiae Suhamitarum juxta numeratos suos, sexaginta quatuor millia et quadringenti:
44. Of the children of Asher, after their families: of Jimna, the family of the Jimnites: of Jesui, the falllily of the Jesuites: of Beriah, the family of the Beriites.
44. Filii Asser per familias suas: de Imnah, familia Imnahitarum: de Isui, familia Isuitarum: de Beriah, familia Beriitarum.
45. Of the sons of Beriah: of Heber, the family of the Heberites: of Malchiel, the family of the Malchielites.
45. De filiis Beriah, de Heber, familia Hebritarum: de Malchiel, familia Malchielitarum.
46. And the name of the daughter of Asher was Sarah.
46. Nomen autem, filiae Aser erat Sarah.
47. These are the families of the sons of Asher, according to those that were numbered of them, who were fifty and three thousand and four hundred.
47. Illae sunt familiae filiorum Aser juxta numeratos suos, quinquaginta tria millia et quadringenti.
48. Of the sons of Naphtali, after their families: of Jahzeel, the family of the Jahzeelites: of Guni, the family of the Gunites:
48. Filii Nephthali per familias suas: de Jesiel, familia Jesielitarum: de Guni, familia Gunitarum:
49. Of Jezer, the family of the Jezerites: of Shillera, the family of the Shillemites.
49. De Jeser, familia Jesrilitarum: de Sillen, familia Sillenitarutn.
50. These are the families of Naphtali, according to their families: and they that were numbered of them were forty and five thousand and four hundred.
50. Istae sunt familiae Nephthali per familias suas: numerati autem eorum, quadraginta quinque millia et quadringenti.
51. These were the numbered of the children of Israel, six hundred thousand, and a thousand seven hundred and thirty.
51. Isti sunt numerati filiorum Israel, sexcenta millia, et mille septingenti ac triginta.
52. And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
52. Loquutus est autem Jehova ad Mosen, dicendo:
53. Unto these the land shall be divided for an inheritance, according to the number of names.
53. Istis dividerut terra illa in possessionem secundum numerum nominum.
54. To many thou shalt give the more inheritance, and to few thou shalt give the less inheritance: to every one shall his inheritance be given according to those that were numbered of him.
54. Numerosiori dabis possessionem majorem: et pauciori diminues possessionem suam: unicuique secundum numeratos suos dabitur haereditas sua.
55. Notwithstanding the land shall be divided by lot: according to the names of the tribes of their fathers they shall inherit.
55. Veruntamen sorte dividetur terra, per nomina tribuum patrum suorum haereditatem accipient.
56. According to the lot shall the possession thereof be divided between many and few.
56. Secundum sortes dividetur haereditas ejus inter multum et paucum.
57. And these are they that were numbered of the Levites, after their families: of Gershon, the family of the Gershonites: of Kohath, the family of the Kohathites: of Merari, the family of the Merarites.
57. Isti autem sunt numerati Levitarum per familias suas, de Gerson, familia Gersonitarum: de Cehath, familia Cehathitarum: de Merari, familia Meraritarum.
58. These are the families of the Levites: the family of the Libnites, the family of the Hebronites, the family of the Mahlites, the family of the Mushites, the family of the Korathites. And Kohath begat Amram.
58. Istae sunt familiae Levitarum, familia Libnitarum, familia Hebronitarum, familia Mathlitarum, familia Musitarum, familia Corhitarum. Cehath autem genuit Amram.
59. And the name of Amram's wife was Jochebed, the daughter of Levi, whom her mother bare to Levi in Egypt: and she bare unto Amram Aaron and Moses, and Miriam their sister.
59. Nomen vero uxoris Amram Jochebed filia Levi, quam peperit ipsi Levi in AEgypto, et quae peperit ipsi Amram, Aharon et Mosen, et Mariam sororem eorum.
60. And unto Aaron was born Nadab and Abihu, Eleazar and Ithamar.
60. Natique sunt ipsi Aharon, Nadab et Abihu, et Eleazar et Ithamar.
61. And Nadab and Abihu died, when they offered strange fire before the Lord.
61. Porro mortui sunt Nadab et Abihu dum offerrent ignem alienum coram Jehova.
62. And those that were numbered of them were twenty and three thousand, all males, from a month old and upward: for they were not numbered among the children of Israel, because there was no inheritance given them among the children of Israel.
62. Et fuerunt numerati eorum, viginti tria millia: omnes mares filio mensis et supra: non enim numerati ruerant inter filios Israel, quod data non sit illis haereditas inter filios Israel.
63. These are they that were numbered by Moses and Eleazar the priest, who numbered the children of Israel in the plains of Moab, by Jordan, near Jericho.
63. Isti sunt numerati Mosis et Eleazar sacerdotis, qui numeraverunt filios Israel in campestribus Moab juxta Jordanem Jericho.
64. But among these there was not a man of them whom Moses and Aaron the priest numbered, when they numbered the children of Israel in the wilderness of Sinai:
64. Inter istos autem non fuit quisquam de numeratis Mosis et Aharon sacerdotis qui numeraverant filios Israel in deserto Sinai.
65. For the Lord had said of them, They shall surely die in the wilderness. And there was not left a man of them, save Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.
65. Dixerat enim Jehova de illis, Moriendo morientur in deserto, et non fuit superstes ex eis quisquam, nisi Caleb filius Jephuneh, et Josue filius Nun.
Now let us see with what object God desired to have His people numbered before He led them into the possession of the promised land. In less than forty years the whole generation of an age for military service had perished: many had been carried off by premature deaths; nay, a single scourge had lately destroyed 24,000; who would not have thought that the people must have been diminished by a fourth? We must then account it a remarkable miracle, that their numbers should be found as great as they were before. It was a memorable proof of God's anger that only two of the 603,000 still survived; but that by continued generation the people were so renewed, as that, at the conclusion of the period, their posterity equalled their former number, was the work of God's inestimable grace. Thus, in that awful judgment wherewith God punished His sinful people, the truth of His promise still shone forth. It had been said to Abraham,
"I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea-shore," (Genesis 22:17;)
and it was by no means fitting that this blessing should be obscured at the time, when the other part of the promise was about to be fulfilled: "Unto thy seed will I give this land." (Genesis 12:7;) For, whilst the people had been instructed by punishments to fear God, still they were not to lose the savor of His paternal favor. And thus does God always temper His judgments towards His Church, so as in the midst of His indignation to remember mercy, as Habakkuk says, (Habakkuk 3:2.) This was the reason why the people was numbered immediately after the plague, in order that it might be more conspicuous that God had marvellously provided lest any diminution should appear after the recent loss of so many men.
In the tribe of Dan, however, the incredible power of God was put forth. He was contemptible among his brethren; and thence it was an extraordinary blessing accorded to him in the shape of an honorable degree and name, when Jacob declares that "Dan shall judge his people." (Genesis 49:16.) He is said to have begotten only one son; yet his posterity exceeds 64,000.
1 In the Lat. these numbers are misprinted, 600,550; in the Fr., 650,300.
3 "Un mot Hebrieu qui signifie tant banniere, que mas de navire, ou une haute perche;" a Hebrew word which signifies a banner, as well as the mast of a ship, or a high pole. -- Fr.
5 Lat., "Quasi lustratos." Fr. "Comme receus de nouveau;" as it were received anew: -- the allusion is, I need hardly say, to the Roman lustrum, or quinquennial census and readjustment of the classes of the people.
6 Added from Fr.
7 The Fr. more correctly says, "Ce que nous avons veu ci dessus;" this we have seen above; -- the table of prohibited degrees having been considered ante, vol. 3, p. 96, et seq.
8 This sentence is omitted in the edit. of Geneva, 1563.
Back to BibleStudyGuide.org.
These files are public domain. This electronic edition was downloaded from the Christian Classics Ethereal Library.