Before The Crucifixion of Jesus
study on the crucifixion.
You may often read about the last hours of Jesus' life before He
was crucified. It is indeed sobering to meditate upon the love of
Christ. He suffered that everyone coming to Him in believing obedience
may have eternal life.
The Bible does not set forth the final events in Jesus' life in
a single historical record. Below I have set forth the events leading
up to the crucifixion of Christ in an approximate historical order.
As you read this time line, meditate upon these events as if you
were an observer of these events. And allow these thoughts to motivate
you in service to God who gave His Son that we might live through
Him. Note: Scriptures are suggested readings and not an exhaustive
- Preparation of Passover (Lk. 22:7-18).
- Observes the Passover; Jesus washes apostles feet; Judas leaves
the supper; Jesus foretells of His betrayal and Peter's Denial;
Jesus institutes the Lord's Supper; Jesus' final discourse (Lk.
22:7-18; Jn. 13:1-38; Matt. 26:26-29; Jn. 14-17).
Thursday Late Evening:
- Jesus and apostles walk to Gethsemane (Jn. 18:1).
- Jesus prays in the garden; Judas betrays Jesus & He is arrested;
all forsake Jesus (Matt. 26:36-56; Jn. 18:2-11).
- First stage of Jewish trial, Jesus before Annas; Peter's first
denial (Jn. 18:12-23).
Friday Early Dawn:
- Second stage of Jewish trial, Jesus before Caiaphas & Sanhedrin
(Jn. 18:24; Matt. 26:57-68).
Friday Late Dawn:
- Third stage of Jewish trial, Jesus formerly condemned by the
Sanhedrin and led to Pilate; Peter denies Christ two more times
Friday Sunrise Begins:
- First stage of Roman trial, Jesus before Pilate (Jn. 18:28-38).
Friday Sunrise Continues:
- Second stage of Roman trial, Jesus before Herod (Lk. 23:6-12).
- Third stage of Roman trial, Pilate has Jesus scourged and sentences
Him to death (Jn. 18:39-19:16; Matt. 27:15-30).
- Judas remorseful, hangs himself (Matt. 27:3-10).
Friday 8:00 - 8:30 AM:
- Jesus led out to be crucified (Matt. 27:31-34).
Friday 9:00 AM:
- Jesus crucified (Matt. 27:35-56; Mk. 15:24-41; Lk. 23:33-49;
Friday 3:00 PM:
- Jesus dies (Matt. 27:35-56; Mk. 15:24-41; Lk. 23:33-49; Jn.
- Jesus buried (Matt. 27:57-66; Jn. 19:38-42).