(to the First Commandment)
respecting the Sanctifying
of the First-born
Exodus 13:1, 2, 11-16
1. And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
1. Et loquutus est Jehova ad Mosen, dicendo:
2. Sanctify unto me all the first-born, whatsoever openeth the womb among the children of Israel, both of man and of beast: it is mine.
2. Sanctifica mihi primogenitum: quicquid apetit vulvam in filiis Israel, tam in hominibus quaIn in jumentis, meum est.
11. And it shall be, when the Lord shall bring thee into the land of the Canaanites, as he sware unto thee and to thy fathers, and shall give it thee,
11. Quumque introduxerit to Jehova in terram Chananaeorum, quemadmodum juravit tibi et patribus tuis, et dederit eam tibi.
12. That thou shalt set apart unto the Lord all that openeth the matrix, and every firstling that cometh of a beast which thou hast; the males shall be the Lord's.
12. Tunc transferes omnem apertionem vulvae ad Jehovam: omnem apertionem, emissionem (vel, foetum, vel, primogenitum) jumenti quod tuum erit: mascula, Jehovae erunt.
13. And every firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb; and if thou wilt not redeem it, then thou shalt break his neck: and all the first-born of man among thy children shalt thou redeem.
13. Omne autem primogenitum asini redimes hoedo: quod si non redemeris, cervicem franges ei: omne quoque primogenitum hominis in filiis tuis redimes.
14. And it shall be, when thy son asketh thee in time to come, saying, What is this? that thou shalt say unto him, By strength of hand the Lord brought us out from Egypt, from the house of bondage:
14. Quum autem interrogaverit to filius tuus eras, dicendo, Quid hoc? Tum dices ad eum, in fortitudine marius eduxit nos Jehova ex Aegypto e domo servorum.
15. And it came to pass, when Pharaoh would hardly let us go, that the Lord slew all the first-born in the land of Egypt, both the first-born of man, and the first-born of beast: therefore I sacrifice to the Lord all that openeth the matrix, being males; but all the first-born of my children I redeem.
15. Et fuit quum indurasset se Pharao quominus dimitteret nos, occidit Jehova omne primogeniture in terra Aegypti, a primogenito hominis usque ad primogenitum animalis: idcirco ego sacrifico Jehovae omnem apertionem vulvae sexus masculini, omne autem primogeniture filiorum meorum redimo.
16. And it shall be for a token upon thine hand, and for frontlets between thine eyes: for by strength of hand the Lord brought us forth out of Egypt.
16. Et erit in signum super manum tuam, et in frontalia inter oculos tuos: quid in fortitndine manus eduxit nos Dominns ex Aegypto.
Exodus 22:29, 30
29. The first-born of thy sons shalt thou give unto me.
29. Primogeniture filiorum tuorum dabis mihi.
30. Likewise shalt thou do with thine oxen, and with thy sheep: seven days it shall be with his dam; on the eighth day thou shalt give it me.
30. Sic facies de bore tuo, et de pecude tua: septem diebus erit cum matre sua, die autem octavo dabis eum mihi.
1 Omitted in Fr.
2 Observe A. V., "thou shalt set apart;" margin, "cause to pass over;" Lat., "transferes."
Back to BibleStudyGuide.org.
These files are public domain. This electronic edition was downloaded from the Christian Classics Ethereal Library.